Friday, September 11, 2009

Canning question: Would you eat this?

I was going through the pantry and found a jar of plum applesauce that had gotten lost somehow. I canned it exactly one year ago. It smells fine and tastes pretty good too (very tart), but has this on the top...

There was a piece of either apple or plum that was floating on top and it had grown this white mold (?) on it. When I lifted the piece off, everything else looked fine. But I'm afraid I'm going to get botulism or something. What do the canning experts out there think? Would you just toss it?

9 comments:

feedingtimeatthezoo said...

I don't know...I'm pretty conservative about what canned stuff I'll eat. I worry I'll poison us all!

Does it look like mold or foam from canning? Foam I'd eat. Mold I'd toss.

(NicoleLJ)

Deb said...

We have a phrase at our house:
"when in doubt, throw it out"

Figure its cheaper to pitch it then to pay for medical visit and lost work time if we were to get really sick.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Cheers,
Deb

Kellie said...

Hmm...I don't think it's mold, but I'm not sure. It's all white as opposed to green. Not sure if that makes a difference. I'm thinking I might just toss it. I like Deb's motto!

Julie Artz said...

I agree with Nicole & Deb--there is white mold that's sorta fuzzy-looking like your picture. While I have been known to scoop off moldy bits and eat the rest of certain things, I don't know that I'd risk it with something home-canned. I'd toss it and pick some of the native plums that are ripe right now and make some more!

:) Julie
(@JulieArtz)

Green Bean said...

I'm with the rest. I can a lot but that doesn't mean that I won't readily toss a canned item if it looks or smells remotely questionable.

Erin said...

I don't know anything about home canning. But, I do know that if it is mold, mold grows from the outside in, so supposedly if you cut off the mold the rest is fine to eat. Like I said, though, I don't know anything about home canning...

panamamama said...

I'm not sure either. I tend to go the conservative way too. Could it be sugar? I had some strawberry that was iffy that I almost cried tossing out. (It was so yummy!) How long can you keep preserves too? I never know.

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

I'd toss it too. Better safe than sorry. ;)
Btw, it was soooo nice to meet you Thursday. I wish we would've gotten a pic together. Next time fo' sho'.

islandveggie said...

I would eat it but I would probably keep it from the kids until I have successfully digested it.